Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday and Egg Money Blocks

The exciting news for me today is that I've finally made all 12 blocks for my mom's Egg Money quilt. Since her 80th birthday is March 24th, and I plan to add a scalloped border, this is none too soon! Here are the 12 blocks. I still need to add sashing, then choose fabric for borders. I think this is as much as I'll get done this week, so I can move on to other projects for a few days. Here's what happened with the last 3 blocks:

This is part of the Friendship block. It's actually quite easy to put together and is often used in quilts to be autographed. However, as I was putting it together, I realized that a mighty big chunk of fabric was being cut away. In the past I would have just tossed those pieces, but instead, I decided to sew them together to make some little half-square triangles.
I ended up with this little pile of 32 1.5-inch half-square triangles! I think they're so cute, but I really have no
idea of what I'm going to do with them!
And here's the finished Friendship block.
 
This is the Christian Cross or Chimney Sweep block. It was also quite simple to make. In fact, all three of these last few blocks were much easier than some of the previous ones. No set-in seams today!

This was the last one, the Garden Walk block or Garden Patch or Bird of Paradise. Eleanor Burns has some examples of whole quilts made out of this block that are just beautiful! I may have to go back and make one someday.

It was such a relief to get those blocks finished. Meanwhile, last night, I sewed together the blocks for my Martinsville quilt. Some friends and I are each putting one of these together and I'm trying to stay a step ahead of them so I can help them with theirs. They'll be here Tuesday night and we'll put theirs together. I need to choose and add borders to this.


I finished quilting my Modern Twist Mystery quilt and now all that's left is to hand-stitch the binding. I'm looking forward to some t.v. time while I work on this!

I think that I've done enough for today. Time for me to leave my quilting studio and go upstairs for some family time. Until then, I'll plan to get more done...tomorrow!

I'm linking with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



3 comments:

  1. Your blocks are beautiful, I am sure you mother will love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH!!! Mom!!! The quilting on the modern quilt is AMAZING! It makes the quilt look 10x better! And gives it such a nice look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOSH!!! Mom!!! The quilting on the modern quilt is AMAZING! It makes the quilt look 10x better! And gives it such a nice look!!

    ReplyDelete