Friday, March 8, 2013

Finished Projects!

Earlier in the week, I showed my little mini block table runner (blocks are 4-inches). I decided that I wanted to try making prairie points to go around it, since I've never made prairie points before. I found a couple of places with fairly general instructions and figured on using 2.5-inch fabric squares to make the points, since this is such a small project. None of the instructions that I read gave clear directions on how to do the corners, so my corners are a bit off and now I have learned how NOT to do corners. This little piece will help me avoid the same mistake in the future!


For the quilting, I figured a simple stitch-in-the-ditch around all the blue strips would be good and then I thought I would stitch a straight line from corner to corner through the middle of each block. In my typical, impatient fashion, I decided to do it without marking first, and fortunately, as you can see in the picture, it came out okay. For around the points, I just used my walking foot as a guide and sewed 1/4-inch around each point. So the quilting was simple, easy and got done fairly quickly.

This seems to be the week for minis! This is the block I made for my March mini wall hanging. I decided to use washable Crayola markers to mark the quilting design. But when I was finished and went to try and remove the markings, they weren't coming off very easily! I had never used them with batiks before and I suspected that something in the fabric treatment might have affected how it reacted to the markers. So I quickly added the binding and threw it in the wash with some laundry. I was so relieved when it came out without the markings!

And now it makes such a lovely addition to my quilt studio!

Be sure to come back later today for my post about the giveaway I'll be having and to see what I have planned for the future of my blog. Until then, it's time to Get More Done...Today!

I'm linking to Thank Goodness it's Finished Friday and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful wall hanging! What's the pattern for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, Gwen! I've heard good things about the Crayola washable markers on fabric so I'm glad the lines disappeared for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute table runner. I've never tried prairie points, although I like the look. The March wall hanging turned out beautifully! I love your iron holder for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love the wire hanger for little quilts? I just finished a St. Paddy's day mini quilt to hang.

    ReplyDelete